I received a heads-up from Torben Hoerup this morning to let me know that Radioddity had released a firmware update for the GD-77.
The update comes in the usual zip package and also contains the CPS, ActiveClient and also a new folder called “Read Me First”
In the “Read Me First” folder, are some new documents, which Radioddity seem to have cobbled together from various sources, including a FAQ written by Jason VK7ZJA – though I don’t know if Jason realises its now been distributed by Radioddity 😉
The CPS seems to be unchanged from the previous versions, and the folder containing the CPS is called “Program software V3.1.1 (Same as last version)” which I presume reinforces that there has been no change to the CPS.
The ActiveClient software also appears to be the same as its modification date is still 2017.
So the only change appears to be the firmware, and the change in the firmware appears to be limited to DFTM
Specifically the update diary file this new section for firmware 3.1.8
1: Solve DTMF decoding issue–the other channel number cannot be decoded after the DTMF in Double Standby (Double Single)
2: Add ANI display
I think the DTMF change is self explanatory, however the “Add ANI display” is still a bit of a mystery.
The only references I can find to ANI are for “Automatic Number Identification”, and seems to be related to DTMF, rather than the DMR ID.
I did some tests on DMR an the DMR ID appears to work the same as before, and since ActiveClient has not changed, I think that both of the changes in this firmware release are probably related to DTMF operation and are not aimed at the Amateur Radio market
I’ll probably update both of my GD-77 to this version, as potentially Radioddity have done other bug fixes which they have documented, but as this new version does not include any of the enhancements that the Amateur Radio were hoping for (I checked and there is nothing on the menus to enter a Talk Group 🙁 🙁 ), I don’t think anyone needs to be in a hurry to update.
Update after 1 day’s use of the new firmware
The firmware seems to be working OK, but they don’t seem to have fixed any other bugs. Both my GD-77 radios seem to forget which channel they were set to when I turn them off, so that when I turn them back on again, they seem to go to a channel which I had to set to a few days ago.
I’ve updated the DMR ID data it seems to display the same as it did before – so now change there.
I’ll post again if I notice any changes at all 😉