For anyone who wants to download the latest version of the GD-77 Community CPS , please use these links
For anyone using the old firmware (version v 3.0.6 ) please use this installer
For anyone using the latest firmware version 3.1.0 to 3.1.8 etc , please use this installer
[End of Update]
____________________________ Original post begins here _____________________________________
As some of your already know, with the help of Colin G4EML, I’ve published a Beta (development) version of the GD-77 Community CPS to support firmware versions 3.1.x.
This covers firmware 3.1.0 beta, 3.1.1 official release and 3.1.2 beta.
The new version of the CPS can be downloaded from here
At the time of writing I know about 20 people have used it without any problems
This version of the CPS will upgrade a 3.0.6 codeplug if necessary, and will show a popup message if it needs to upgrade.
The main changes to the official CPS 3.1.1 is the re-organisation of the memory used to store the Rx Group Lists.
Rather than a maximum of 128 Rx Groups, each of 15 Contacts (TalkGroups), the new arrangement is a maximum of 72 Rx Groups, each of up to 32 contacts.
Radioddity also removed a “reserved” byte in the RX Group data, which they were not using, probably to squeeze the total number of groups a bit higher e.g. to 76 rather than 75, but I can’t really see how this would effect most users.
The result of this, is that anyone with more than 76 Rx Groups will not be fully upgraded and you will manually need to change your codeplug to suit you needs. However I don’t think this will impact on Amateur Radio uses as most people only have a few Rx Groups
The other new feature is the Scan time setting on “Scan Basic” form. I can’t remember the precise details of what this function does, as I don’t do any scanning myself.
Radioddity also removed some redundant (irrelevant) settings relating to the Scan function from the VFO form, so we’ve removed them from this version; and as they were actually irrelevant for firmware 3.0.6 I’ve also updated the 3.0.6 CPS to remove them.
There are some improvements in the official CPS which I have not had chance to implement in the Community CPS yet.
Specifically, when deleting contacts or channels, the official CPS seems to do some compaction. The result of this, is that when deleting a Contact from the middle of the list, in the official version, and then adding a new Contact; the new Contact goes at the end, where as in the Community CPS the new Contact goes into the space vacated by the Contact that has just been deleted.
I will update the Community CPS when I have time, so that it does this, however at the moment, my focus is on the Flash Manager, which I wrote for Jason (VK7ZJA) with the help of Colin G4EML.
And I think at the moment that getting Flash Manager to be able to Read, Display and Save the calibration data is higher priority than small improvements in the CPS.
Also at the moment there isn’t an installer for Flash Manager, so the files have to be copied manually to a folder etc.
At the same time I am still making GUI improvements to the Community CPS if I am told about something which won’t take me long to fix e.g. Douglas (DF4DQ) noticed that the ListBoxes for the Rx Groups, were not wide enough to fix the maximum length Contact name, so I have already modified this, and I will update the installer version later today.
One more bit of unrelated news
Ty Weaver, of MD-380 fame has replied to a question I posted on the MD-380 tools group, and suggested some tests that I can perform on the firmware update file, which may reveal how its encypted, so I will probably spend some time today, writing some software to explore his idea, as being able to modify the firmware on the GD-77 like can be done on the MD-380 is also on my “To Do” list