I don’t know whether this is definitely why the ham-digital “Last Heard” page now longer seems to display up to date data, but recent changes to the law in Europe look like they now prevent ham-digital.org from logging the DRM network activity.
The result of this, is that the Download Contacts data-feed I was using is no longer getting fresh data, and basically is no longer usable
I wonder how https://hose.brandmeister.network/ can still continue to operate, as Brandmesiter must be collecting data e.g. the fact that a station is transmitting, so I wonder if they will also be legally required to cease doing this, because none of the stations who is having their data collected have explicitly agreed to them doing this.
So as a partial solution, I’ve added a function to download the contacts database from DMR MARC, filtered by the users Region Prefix number (which is automatically filled in from their Radio ID). e.g. 505 for Australia , 234 for the UK.
This is not an ideal solution, because the DMR MARC database now contains over 90,000 ID’s, and the GD-77 can only hold 1024 contacts including TalkGroups, and even with filtering them by region prefix, still shows all ID ever registered for that region, which is bound to be too many to fully import.
In Australia I have noticed there are around 400 ID’s which have never been heard on the DMR network, but there is no way to know that information now that ham-digital are not allowed to log this data.
As the data collection law only seems to apply to Europe (and possibly some other countries who enact European laws e.g. UK ?), it would be possible for organisations in other counties to take over the logging,
One other option which I think could be a good temporary work-around is to get the CPS to store the last copy of the DMR MARC data file (CSV) then compare that with the copy it downloads, so it can compare them and find which are new IDs.
But its not a perfect fix.
Unfortunately the GD-77 only has a 1Mb storage chip inside, and most of this seems to be taken up with the codeplug and some Chinese fonts, so it would not be possible for Radioddity to increase the number of DMR_ID’s that the radio could hold.
If anyone has some other ideas on better ways to solve this problem, I’d be keen to hear them.
As usual the latest “development” versions are here